Tuesday 18 November 2014

Hong Kong : Lam Tsuen Wishing Tree + Xin Xiang Yuan + Jia Jia Desserts

Hong Kong trip - May 2014


Lam Tsuen Wishing Trees 林村許願樹


Weather has not been very good for the whole trip when I was in Hong Kong this time. Fortunately, I was always under shelter whenever it rained. We woke up slightly earlier as Lam Tsuen is a little far from the town. 



I was expecting to see a big massive venerable tree hanging with yellow joss papers containing wishes written on them like the picture above. 

There was a drama scene where both male and female main lead were standing under this wishing tree wishing they were there with each other (coincidentally standing in opposite direction and did not see each other). The next moment when they were leaving, their eyes suddenly met, cried instantly and the next thing we know, they were already hugging and kissing. Though it was cliche, we audience always love it (after we scolded how lame was the plot). 


Due to many years of overloaded with wishing gifts being flung onto its branches, the main limb finally snapped nearly 10 years ago. Now it is ringed by fences and supported by long poles. It looks as if it is crippled. Government has already banned throwing-wishing-gifts activity onto the tree.


It is now replaced by hanging these offerings onto this wishing board.

My zodiac 


This is the replacement banyan tree. It is a stand alone tree in the middle of concrete flooring. Yes, this is a fake tree. Perhaps only fake tree can withstand the wear and tear and also easier to get replaced.



Previously, people wrote their wishes on joss paper tied to an orange and threw them up to hang on the original tree. It was believed that if the paper successfully hung onto one of the tree branches, these wishes would come true. Today, we get to write our wishes on a tiny red paper tied with a fake light weighed mandarin orange and to throw up to the fake tree. 


Due to the oranges being too light, i took many tries to get my orange up successfully in the tree. Its ok, my wishes will still come true!





Tin Hau temple next to the wishing tree.



Food stall just outside the wishing tree.

Hehe.. #beancurdstallhassamenameasme. 

Their salted beancurd

This is the normal sweet version.



Lam Tsuen Wishing Tree 林村許願樹
Direction: 
1) Bus 64K or 64P at MTR Tai Po Market Station, get off at Fong Ma Po Station. 
2) Minibus 25K and get off at Lam Tsuen Wishing Trees. 




Xin Xiang Yuan 新香園



My friend brought me to his favourite beef sandwiches stall for teabreak at Sham Shui Po. It has started since 1968 O.O!

Lemon tea

馳名蛋牛治 - Famous beef sandwich

This beef sandwich really fantastic! It is as if contains motherly love in it! I could eat this everyday~


This is my favourite kind of congee whereby the rice is slow cooked until very very watery (like baby food). =D

What it is more amazing is that they operating 24 hours for 7 days in a week.



Xin Xiang Yuan 新香園
38 Kweilin Street Sham Shui Po
Nearest MTR station: Sham Shiu Po station
Tel: +852 2386 2748
Opening hours: 24/7





Jia Jia Desserts 佳佳甜品


We initially wanted to go to Australia Dairy Company where it is most famous for its milk pudding but we were too late for it. I was a little disgruntled =(

We then headed to Jia Jia Desserts to satisfy our sugar needs.



Jia Jia desserts is a very old school kind of desserts stall and has opened for more than 30 years.


Rock candy stewed papaya 冰糖燉木瓜 HK$18

This is actually meh.. just a little too sweet for me.

Almond pudding 杏仁露 HK$18

Ok I dislike almond but the overwhelming smell of almond still haunted me when I was seated a few seats away from the person who was having this dessert. I guess this is a good sign? Lol.

Egg custard pudding 冰花燉雞蛋 HK$18

I did not know what am I getting into when I tried this egg custard pudding. I do not fancy strong egg taste nor milk taste as they make me nauseated. I fell love at first bite for this egg custard pudding!! It has mild egg taste with refreshing fragrance to it without fighting over the taste of egg and milk.

I had one egg custard pudding before near my workplace but the milk taste was too overwhelming, no wonder it closed down not long after.. lol.

As normal as it looks, the abnormal the taste it it.



Jia Jia Desserts 佳佳甜品
Address: 27A Ning Po Street Jordan, Hong Kong 
 Nearest MTR station: Jordan station
Tel: +852 2384 3862 
Opening hours: Daily 1.30pm – 3am






No comments:

Post a Comment